How Can Foreign Students Get Residency in the U.S.?

How Can Foreign Students Get Residency in the U.S.?

Foreign students who want to go to a university in the United States have to be able to get residency as well. It’s not automatic upon acceptance into a college. But there is more than one avenue that you can look into for residency, beyond just the student visa option.

Student Visa

The first one you may want to look into though is the student visa. As with all visas, there are requirements that you will have to meet. One of these is that the educational program is on an approved list. Among the possibilities are not just universities, but also language training and vocational schools. There are some different types of student visas, depending on the type of program you’re planning on attending.

Employment Visa

If you want to move to the U.S. before applying to an educational institution, then you may be able to secure a job offer in your field that will help you get residency. This might be an ideal option if you are planning to go to graduate school and want to be able to do it part-time while you work. It can be tricky navigating what is the best option for your situation, so you may want to contact a Spanish speaking attorney Houston or one who speaks your native language if it isn’t Spanish.

Permanent Residency

There are some additional methods for gaining permanent residency, if that’s something you’re interested in achieving. This can be through a family relationship, having exceptional ability and experience in a certain area, or there are also those who can request asylum. The laws regarding green card and residency eligibility are not always straightforward, and there is some evidence that a petition submitted by a lawyer will have more likelihood of success, so it’s a good idea to seek professional help to figure out the best option for you.

Donald Phillips