Matthew Davies Investigates Disturbing Devices That Have Been Proven to Be Spying on You
You experience the most comfortable and relaxing time when you are in your own home. You feel completely safe and secure in the confines of the four walls with all comfort and amenities. However, for many people, it can be an illusion. Even though you feel safe, you can be under the constant surveillance of hackers even in the remotest part of the world. According to Matthew Davies, hackers can use electronic gadgets to spy on you if you are not careful:
- Smartphones – You must know that if you have a smartphone, you can be easily tracked by your service provider. What you may not know is that you can also be tracked by Google (in case of Android phone) or Apple (in case of iPhones). Their tracking is much more explicit and detailed as they know what apps you install and what at which time you usually run them. Such detailed information is forwarded to other marketing giants so that they can use this information to advertise their products. Quite surprisingly, phones can also take your pics even though you don’t realize it and use it for nefarious activities when hacked.
- Kitchen appliances – With the advancement of technology, each household is now filled with hi-tech appliances in the kitchen. Be it a coffee maker that makes your coffee ready before you get up or the smart refrigerator which reminds you to restock items by sending a reminder on your phone. All your personal information that is uploaded can put you at risk of potential spying by hackers which can help robbers to target your home.
- The modem in phones – With your modem, your service provider has access to your ISP address which may have all details of whatever sites you have logged in. Your service provider will know that you are visiting a controversial site even before the person sitting next to you becomes aware of it. So, nothing is personal on your personal computer or smartphone.
- Television – Not only the channels that are being watched can be hacked by the television company but also the files in the USB attached to the television. Expert hackers can even take control of cameras in smart TVs to record you in secret.
- Cable Box or Satellite TV receiver – The TV series or movies you watch are kept in a record by your service provider. These are further categorized into your likes and dislikes. Such information is generally sold to advertisement companies who in turn target you as a potential customer according to your preferences. You may now understand why certain ads pop up at your newsfeed more than often.
According to Matthew Davies, everybody should be made aware of the personal information security risks that are associated with common digital devices. This knowledge can help people stay safe and protect their personal information from harmful hackers, companies, and the government.